In 2023, the minimum wage in British Columbia (BC) is set at $15.70 per hour. This applies to most workers in the province, but some exceptions do exist:
- Liquor servers receive a minimum wage of $15.70 per hour.
- Live-in camp leaders earn a minimum daily rate of $125.40.
- Resident caretakers with 9 to 60 suites earn a minimum monthly salary of $876.35 plus $33.32 per suite; for 61 or more suites, they earn a minimum monthly salary of $2,832.11.
Are there Plans to Increase the Minimum Wage in British Columbia
As it stands, no specific plans to increase the minimum wage in BC have been announced for the coming years. The BC government typically reviews the minimum wage annually, taking into consideration factors such as:
- Inflation rate
- Economic conditions
- Average wages of workers
Staying updated with this information is crucial for both employers and employees.
Overtime Minimum Wage in British Columbia
In BC, overtime pay is 1.5 times the employee's regular rate after 8 hours of work in a day, and double the regular pay rate after 12 hours.
Here are the key points:
- Overtime pay is also applicable after 40 hours of work in a week.
- Certain jobs are exempt from overtime rules.
British Columbia Minimum Wage Exemptions
Several specific exemptions to the BC minimum wage exist, including:
- Farm workers employed in harvesting certain fruits and vegetables.
- Live-in camp leaders.
- Resident caretakers in buildings with fewer than 9 suites.
- Liquor servers.
- Certain types of live-in home support workers.
Workers should be aware of these exemptions, and employers must abide by these rules.
FAQ for Minimum Wage in British Columbia
- Can employers pay less than the minimum wage? Except for specific exempt categories, employers cannot pay less than the minimum wage.
- Does the minimum wage apply to casual labor? Yes, the minimum wage applies to casual labor.
- What can I do if I'm not receiving the minimum wage? If you suspect you're not receiving the minimum wage, you can file a complaint with the Employment Standards Branch.
- Is the minimum wage the same for part-time workers? Yes, part-time, full-time, and temporary workers all receive the same minimum wage, barring specific exempt categories.